Helpful Tips & Advice
When Preparing to Move Home
Prepare a checklist of things to do and people to contact.
01. Plan your packing and leave yourself plenty of time. Careful packing will avoid breakages and make things a lot easier when it comes to unpacking.
02. Make sure you have a good supply of strong boxes.
03. You'll also need parcel tape, masking tape, marker pens, packing paper (Soft tissue & old newspapers will be fine) and perhaps some bubblewrap for particularly fragile items.
04. Remember not to overload boxes especially with items such as books. Make sure all boxes close properly for easy stacking.
05. Fill any gaps between items with screwed-up newspaper to avoid damage during transit.
06. Take your time when packing dishes and glasses. Wrap each one with packing tissue and cushion them in the carton with crumpled packing paper. Also, pictures & mirrors should be wrapped well, preferably in bubble wrap.
07. Keep packed boxes under 15 kilos (if possible) for easy handling and safe transportation.
08. Mark all boxes with a marker pen – a good idea is to identify each room of your new home with a number, then mark each box with the corresponding room number on 2 sides and the top.
09. Any items with doors, could have them taped shut with masking tape, but be careful which tape you use, some can remove lacquer from furniture when taken off
10. Remember to make sure fridges, freezers and washing machines are fully emptied and disconnected. Do you have a gas cooker that needs disconnecting?
11. It's worth putting identifying marks on matching joints if dismantling beds and wardrobes to aid rebuilding. Keep bolts and fixings with the piece of furniture.
12. If possible, obtain mattress covers to protect mattresses during moving.
13. Ensure items going into storage are completely dry especially clothes, linen and curtains.
14. Always bend your knees when attempting to lift heavy objects.
Marriott Services, 21 Inchkeith Road, Southway, Plymouth, PL6 6EB - Tel: 01752 246170
DVLA (Car registration)
Doctors & NHS Services